The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Friday, May 28, 2010

The Top 40 Songs of the 60s Decade Has Been Tabulated

For the past two months I have requested visitors to both of my 60s nostalgia sites (The 60s Official Site and Soundtrack of the 60s)  to vote on their five favorite songs of the sixties decade.  A tall order because there were so many great hits from the 60s.  I received thousands on thousands of votes and to make it interesting, those who voted were automatically entered to win prizes to be given away during the broadcast as DJ Neal Stevens counts them down from number 40 to number 1.  The results were mixed to say the least.  Listening habits and love for different songs change as we get older, at least it has for me.  Some songs I truly loved while in my teens, I don't care to hear and those that were not so popular I love to listen to.  Don't get me wrong I love the 60s music sounds.  It is just the taste of certain songs change over time.

Listed below are the Top 40 Songs of the 60s decade according to Billboard Magazine.  Their results are based on amount of time staying on the charts which of course was based on record sales.  These songs do not come close to the list the visitors to the most popular 60s site on the web voted.  Some songs listed are on the final countdown but not many.  Of course this list is based on time on the charts but time on charts were also an indicator of popularity of a song.  Tastes do change as we get older.  You can listen to DJ Neal Stevens countdown the Top 40 hits of the sixties decade based on our visitors voting.  Go to The 60s Official Site/Top 40 Hits of the 60s decade or Soundtrack of the 60s/Top 40 Hits of the 60s decade.

Billboard's Top 40 songs of the Sixties Decade

1.  Hey Jude/The Beatles
2.  The Theme from A Summer Place/Percy Faith
3.  Tossin' and Turnin'/Bobby Lewis
4.  I Want to Hold Your Hand/The Beatles
5.  I'm A Believer/The Monkees
6.  I Heard It Through the Grapevine/Marvin Gaye
7.  Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In/The 5th Dimension
8.  Are You Lonesome Tonight/Elvis Presley
9.  In the Year 2525/Zaeger and Evans
10. It's Now or Never/Elvis Presley
11. I Can't Stop Loving You/Ray Charles
12. Love is Blue/Paul Mauriat
13. Big Girls Don't Cry/The 4 Seasons
14. Big Bad John/Jimmy Dean
15. Sugar Shack/Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs
16. Honey/Bobby Goldsboro
17. To Sir with Love/LuLu
18. Cathy's Clown/Everly Brothers
19. People Got To Be Free/The Rascals
20. Get Back/The Beatles
21. The Ballad of the Green Berets/Ssgt Barry Sadler
22. Sherry/The 4 Seasons
23. Can't Buy Me Love/The Beatles
24. Sugar, Sugar/The Archies
25. (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay/Ottis Redding
26. Honky Tonk Women/The Rolling Stones
27. Stuck on You/Elvis Presley
28. Roses Are Red (My Love)/Bobby Vinton
29. Daydream Believer/The Monkees
30. Everyday People/Sly & The Family Stone
31. Dizzy/Tommy Roe
32. Windy/The Association
33. Runaway/Del Shannon
34. He's So Fine/The Chiffons
35. Ode to Billy Joe/Bobbie Gentry
36. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction/The Rolling Stones
37. Dominique/The Singing Nun
38. There! I've Said it Again/Bobby Vinton
39. Somthin' Stupid/Nancy Sinatra & Frank Sinatra
40. Groovin'/The Young Rascals

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Mred49 said…

    I loved them all

     

Post a Comment

<< Home