The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What To Do with Those Out of Print Vinyl Records?

If any of you have visited my website, The 60s Official Site, then you know I am an avid collector of 50s and 60s music and other memorabilia from that era. I am always looking for 45 records, LPs and so forth that are out of print. Many of these are classics that have not and may never be available in digital format (CDs) Many of these gems are classics and deserved to be released but many won't.

Just recently Parkway released Chubby Checker's classics, The Tymes, ? (Question Mark) & the Mysterians 96 Tears, the Orlons and so many more after years of just ignoring fans cry for their release. All that was available before then was re-records which never matched the originals. Yes, Parkway would not even re-release the original recordings on re-issued 45s.

I am always looking on the Internet and at flea markets for these out of print records.

What do I do to preserve these records? I definitely keep them dust free and in an environment to keep them dry and warp free but first I make a digital recording of them. With the right equipment you can make an outstanding copy of the record minus the pops and cracks that are evident on vinyl records.

I use a special piece of equipment that attaches directly to my computer with software included to eliminate the pops and cracks on the record.

In 1966 the Cascades came out with a recording written by Bob Lind called "Cheryl's Going Home." This recording will never be found on any Cascades' CD who are better known for the song "Rhythm of the Rain." I mention this because I have been searching for this song for a number of years and found it just last year on the Internet for a decent price. I now have added it to my collection in a digital format to preserve the quality of the song. Listen to it here. Keep in mind this is a mono song. I has never been recorded in stereo. As you listen to it remember this is from a 45. This song never made the Top 100 on the Billboard Charts but my small radio station in Columbus, Ohio we listened to from Circleville, Ohio, 1230 WCOL AM, played this song and I have always remembered it. Even Sonny & Cher performed it on their TV show and it appeared on one of their LPs which is out of print.

I was going to pass the link to this piece of equipment to you, which you can purchase but just found out that it is out of stock and not available at this moment. If interested in finding this equipment or if you have a particular song you can't find in digital format, let me know and I will help you.

For the 60s Fans Only

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home