The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Although Changes Are Evident Some Just Saddens Me


Last week I returned from a vacation in Florida. I took my 6-year granddaughter to the beach and did other normal things that a 6-year old would enjoy. I have been going to Florida now for over 35 years to vacation and visit in-laws. I love Florida, the sun, the heat, and the beach as well as the fishing.


While there I just had to visit the boardwalk at Daytona Beach. I hadn't been to the boardwalk probably for over 5 or 6 years. I sure was surprised to see the changes that had occurred over the years. Progress they call it. Condos were being built as well as hotels being converted to time shares. The rides with exception of the lift that takes you over the pier are no longer there. The excitement to me was missing. I did notice on the pier that they still had dances and live music on the weekend. As I was walking on the pier, they were playing our type of music, the 50s and 60s so all was not lost.


I recall how the smell of hotdogs, popcorn, and french fries filled the air as did the excitement and the salt from the ocean. The boardwalk was actually once made of wood in most places, hence its name. The song by the Drifters, Under the Boardwalk, always reminded me of the boardwalk at Daytona although the song was about the boardwalk in Jersey. (Special note check out my website, The Drifters are the spotlighted artist.)


It just saddens me that things can't remain the same for historical reasons. It is the tourist attraction and the money that caused these changes but nonetheless I liked the old look. I really enjoyed driving and parking on the beach and of course this is now a"no, no." The rationale for this was because erosion of the beach and also many pedestrians were actually hit by cars. Safety and environmental concerns changed the law.
I don't know if I want to go back to the boardwalk when I return to Florida. The nostalgia is now missing and it doesn't look the same. It probably good for Daytona Beach and tourism but not good for this baby boomer.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home