The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Thursday, October 25, 2007

1960s Tradition: Eating Meals Together as a Family

One of the most important and memorable part of growing up in the 1950s and 1960s was my mother's requirement that we eat our meals together. No such thing as sitting in front of the TV to eat a meal. We started each meal with prayer and then ate our meal over conversation, jokes and laughter. It was a great time to grow up and a fond memory of that time in my life.

I remember my grandmother and my mother made sure my dad got his plate first because as they would say he was the "working man." I remember also when I got my first job I was treated the same way. Does that occur now? Is it important? I don't know but back then it made me feel important and made me understand how important working and supporting your family was.

I will never forget how great a cook my mom was. She could make a feast out of left overs or make a typical Sunday chicken dinner seem like a banquet. Fried chicken was will always be my favorite. I always looked forward to Sunday dinners even when what seemed like 9 times out of 10 we would have fried chicken. My buddy next door and his family had their fried chicken on Sunday as well. Was that a 60s thing or something? I remember Mom cooked it in lard of all things. That was nothing unusual for the cooking in the 50s and 60s. For the last 20 years we have been told that cooking in lard will cause clogging of your arteries. People cooked in lard for over 100 years. How did we manage to live back then according to today's standards?

My mom, who passed away in 1983, had recipes thrown inside a book and shoe box. Many of her recipes were written on napkins, scraps of paper and old used envelopes. She had 100s of them. Many still had old food and grease stains on them. She had so many recipes she had collected and many that were passed down from her mother and her mother's mother. The ones that were great tasting she kept and those she didn't like she got rid of, although Mom hardly ever through anything away.

When I was a teenager it was customary then to bring your girlfriend or boyfriend home to meet the family. I usually did that by inviting them to Sunday dinner for Mom's famous fried chicken. All my girlfriends loved my Mom's cooking. One particular girl I dated loved beef and noodles so when Mom discovered how much this girl loved beef and noodles, she would prepare it whenever she came over. (There went my fried chicken.) I stopped inviting this girlfried over so much because it interfered with my fried chicken dinners. A note is deserved here: I ended up marrying that girl and of course I got all "noodled out."

I receive email and comments in my guestbook all the time about the 60s and how great they were and how much fun growing up back then was. The memories are so many but sometimes not as vivid as we grow older. One comment in particular mentioned "that if you could remember anything about the 60s then you probably didn't live them." I have an idea what she was referring to but I know I lived them and I remember much about that time and of course these meals around the table with family was one of the most memorable times of my life.

Thinking back to those days around the table, I decided to feature Mom's recipes at The 60s Official Site. So if you are interested in old recipes, cooking and so much more check out this cookbook. Just Click Here for more information.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I loved your story about your mom, and almost cried when you shared that she died and how you found her box of recipes with the stains on them. She sounds like she was a very very cool mom. My mother is 82 years old, and she too cooked dinner everynight, my dad was served first, and my mom was a dynamite cook. We sat around the table (6 kids) and ate her delicious dinners every night, too. I have a lot of fond memories of my mom, dad and brothers and sisters, too. Thank you so much for your website. Oh, I was born in 1963, but I do have some memories even though I was just a tot.

     
  • At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I loved your story about your mom, and almost cried when you shared that she died and how you found her box of recipes with the stains on them. She sounds like she was a very very cool mom. My mother is 82 years old, and she too cooked dinner everynight, my dad was served first, and my mom was a dynamite cook. We sat around the table (6 kids) and ate her delicious dinners every night, too. I have a lot of fond memories of my mom, dad and brothers and sisters, too. Thank you so much for your website. Oh, I was born in 1963, but I do have some memories even though I was just a tot.

    Lisa Marie

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Love this blog . Me like you had the privilege of a Mother that prepared 3 squares... Liver and onions , catfish.. Pork chops , chicken fried steak,Beef stew from the best Potroast we enjoyed on Sundays.... And of course Fried chicken mashed potatoes. Turnip greens .blackeyed peas fresh from the garden...white cream gravy...oh man.... She was my hero ... When Thanksgiving time is near I remember waking and she was already dressed in her fancy apron preparing our feast.... I was blesssed as you. With a Mother who loved her family and l miss she and my father so much. Dena Hall Lake Dallas, Texas.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I too had a Mother who loved to prepare 3 squares... A day. Best food ever...Mothers meatloaf, fried chicken, potroast...omg... The sweetest spirit.. She had. Every Sunday I mean every Sunday we had lunch at home Mom was up and dressed in her fancy apron baking either a coconut white cake or cherry pie, grandmother brought her famous chocolate pudding with egg white merangue.... So carefully toasted light brown.... Then gram would cry her famous chicken... Cornbread.. Ong great memories.... I miss gram and my parents so much... A true family that was filled with love together around ghe greatest meLs prepared with Love... Dena Hall ..Lake Dallas, Texas from yhe 50s & 60s.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home