The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Whatever Happened to "Merry Christmas?"

As of this entry there are just 27 more days until Christmas. In case I forget to tell all of my readers I want to wish each of you a very Merry Christmas.

I know most of you are aware how the word Christmas is being taken out of our celebration. In many schools it is called a winter holiday break instead of Christmas vacation. I remember when attending school in the 1960s that the word "Christmas" was not taboo. We had Christmas programs in school assemblies where Christmas religious songs were sung and the meaning of Christmas was explained and celebrated. So easy to understand. This country was founded under Christian ideology. The Pilgrims came here to escape religion persecution and to worship as they saw fit. As I look back I don't ever recall my school ever pushing a religion on anybody. We celebrated the Christmas season as we saw fit. After all, the Christian faith is the majority in this country then and now. I don't expect a Christian celebration in a country I was visiting or even living whose religion population is not Christian.

I remember also Nativity scenes displayed throughout the town and on city government and state government property. Nobody complained then. What has changed? Atheists are coming out of the closet to file lawsuits that it impedes on what they claim "their civil rights." What about the Christian majority civil rights? If we as a Christian majority don't speak up all we know as being sacred and dear to us will be stripped away. There are towns in these United States that are trying to ban Nativity scenes. They have even tried to ban them on private property but have failed on this thus far.

Two years ago Walmart did not allow the employees to wish you a "Merry Christmas" fearing they would offend somebody. You received "Happy Holiday" as a greeting. A large outcry and boycott of Walmart began and last year, "Merry Christmas" was once again permitted. This year, although the breakdown has been corrected, occurred at Lowe's. In there catalog they listed "Christmas Trees" as "Family Trees." Hearing the outcry and fearing a boycott and their customers shopping at Home Depot redid that page and changed "Family Trees" to "Christmas Trees."

I don't understand what merchants are scared of. Christians are the majority and spend most of the money. Why worry? Persons who have chosen to live here must adjust to our customs not we to them. If I lived in a Muslim country, for example, I wouldn't expect them to adjust to my customs. Can you imagine if you asked them to do that?

I have Jewish friends who celebrate Christmas in their own way. Believe me their children know why the school really takes a vacation at Christmas time. It's not because it is winter and time for a break. It is a tradition that has been around since my parents went to school.

Why can't we get back to the old tradional Christmases of the past. Keeping "Christ" in Christmas makes sense to me. Without Him there wouldn't being any Christmas. For those that don't believe in Christ then don't celebrate our holiday or complain about the celebration of Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

Check out and listen to the top Baby Boomer Christmas Songs

Return to the 60s

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home