The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Monday, November 01, 2010

Looking Back to November 1965

The month is November 1965 as we look back to the events and music that shaped the decade.  I was in my senior year of high school.  Where has all the time gone?  The top TV shows were Bonanza, Gomer Pyle, USMC, The Lucy Show, The Red Skelton Hour and The Andy Griffith Show.  Great television during a great decade!

On November 6, 1965 the Freedom Flights program began which would allow 250,000 Cubans to come to the United States by 1971. On that day the Rolling Stones topped the charts with "Get Off My Cloud" where it remained for two weeks.  Behind it at #2 was the Toys big hit "A Lover's Concerto." 

A great icon of advertising appeared for the first time on TV on November 7 as the Pillsbury Dough Boy was first seen in TV commercials.   Do you remember that?

For you soap opera addicts, "Days of Our Lives" debuted on TV on NBC on November 8, 1965.

November 9, 1965 may be forever in the memory banks of those who lived in the Northeast as the great Northeast blackout occurred across several states and Canada.  Those parts of the country were hit with a series of power failures that lasted over 13 hours. 

The buildup and news coverage of the Vietnam War continues to grow as ABC radio begins weekly "Vietnam Update" report on November 19,  1965 as the Supremes hit "I Hear a Symphony charts at #1. Also on this date, Kellogg's Pop Tart Pastry is created.

On November 22 Muhammed Ali TKOs Floyd Patterson in 12 rounds to win the heavyweight boxing title.

The Vietnam War protests begin as 15,000 demonstrate against war in  Washington D.C. "I Hear a Symphony" was still #1 followed by the Byrds with "Turn, Turn, Turn" at #2.

Join me each month as I recap a month and year from the 60s decade.  Also be sure to visit The 60s Official Site  which has over 900 pages related to the 60s including jukebox music.

The music you were listening to on your favorite radio show played by your favorite DJ is now being played on Soundtrack of the 60s with Neal Stevens.  You can listen to the hits of November of 1965 by clicking here.  A great show with insight on the artist and music of that month and year.  Beginning this month in celebration of four years on the web, contests with prizes but you must listen to win.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger  said…

    A thing I learned from the sixties is, if ya wanna have protest songs on the radio - ya gotta draft rich dudes - but even with that, not too much protest.

    Stay on groovin' safari,
    Tor

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Kathy said…

    I have been trying to identify a novelty song from the 60's (I think) with no luck. I don't even know the exact words, but the song was spoken in an exaggerated tone with music in the background. It started out with something like "Has life got you down? Has (examples of terrible things inserted here)?" Then the whole sad tone stops and bright loud music starts to the words of "Well, get up, get out, ....!" I can hear it in my head but I can't come up with details. I was young at the time but I remember that I got the biggest kick out of this song. I'd love to share it with my son. Do you have any idea what the name could be?

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Cherry Darling said…

    Hello, I'm looking for a song from the 60's or50's it, it sounds like James Taylor but I'm not sure,it's a very soft song that goes I just can't live without you(I know for a fact the song is NOT Baby come back)
    please contact me at: Tommy_gir_91@hotmail.com

     
  • At 4:20 AM, Blogger Carl Hoffman said…

    I am sorry I can't help you unless I have some of the lyrics and perhaps the approximate year it came out.

    Carl

     

Post a Comment

<< Home