The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Looking Back at June 1967

On June 3, 1967, the number one hit was Aretha Franklin's Respect written by Otis Redding and first released by Otis Redding in 1965.  It became the signature song for R&B singer Aretha Franklin.  The day before, the Beatles released their LP Sergeant Peppers' Lonely Hearts Band.  Although at that time I did not quite understand the conflict, the Six Day War between Israel and Egypt, Syria and Jordan began on June 5 and ended on June 10.

I was working at Big Bear Supermarkets in Circleville, Ohio overly concerned about the draft and the growing conflict in Vietnam.  Little did I realized in less than a year I would be there. My boss tried to convince me to get into the Reserve or National Guard so I could remain home and continue to work.  I also was still contemplating on continuing my education but I guess my destiny was to serve my country which I have never had any regrets as I also continued my education while serving in the United States Army.



On June 13, President Johnson nominated Thurgood Marshall to become the first black Supreme Court Justice while the top 5 songs respectively were (1) Respect/Aretha Franklin (2) Groovin'/Young Rascals (3) I Got Rhythm/The Happenings (4) Release Me (and Let Me Love Again)/Engelbert Humperdinck (5) Him or Me - What's It Gonna Be?/Paul Revere & The Raiders.

With the Vietnam War  continuing to escalate I recall the verdict of Muhammad Ali  on June 20 who was convicted in Houston of violating Selective Service laws by refusing to be drafted but The U.S. Supreme Court later overturned the conviction.

June 29, as the month closed out, Jayne Mansfield, one of the most beautiful sex symbols during the 60s, perished with two others as their car they were traveling in slammed into the back of a tractor trailer rig.

The number one hit as the month closed was Groovin' by the Young Rascals.

You can visit me on my website The 60s Official Site, the largest and most visited 60s site on the web.  Also enjoy Neal Stevens exclusively on my site with his monthly show Soundtrack of the 60s as he plays the most popular songs from the current month of a 60s decade year.  This month June 67.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was at Ubon Thailand in 67 and can really relate to your site. Nice Job and I'll be back often. Thanks for the Memories!

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember a country song in the early 60s about a man killing his wife. I thougt the artist was Willie Nelson but I can't find it on the internet by anyone. Can you help.

     
  • At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Ruby don't take your love to town" by Kenny Rogers"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home