The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Looking Back to March 1960

I have been delinquent posting to my blog.  I want to apologize.  It seems like there is so much on my plate lately.

In March 1960, I was 11 years old and all that mattered to me was playing sports and hanging out with my friends as the music on the radio, that sat on top of the fridge, played the great hits of March 1960 as I ate breakfast before treading off to school. 

On March 5, 1960 Elvis Presley was honorably discharged from the U.S. Army and on March 6th the United States increased its role in Vietnam by sending 3,500 troops.

On March 21 Elvis Presley made his first post Army recording with  one of his best, "Stuck on You."

Great music captured the month of March 1960.  "A Theme from a Summer Place" by Percy Faith remained number one throughout the month of March.  It reached #1 on February 22 and remained in the top slot for nine weeks and 17 weeks on the Top 40.  Music with the country flavor manged to make the big time as well.  Jim Reeves nailed a great song that was kept out of #1 by Percy Faith's hit.  Reeves' "He'll Have to Go" peaked at #2 on March 7.  Another country great that hit the charts in March was Jack Scott's "What in the World Came Over You."

Overall March was a memorable month in music.  To listen to these great songs and others for the month of March go to Soundtrack of the 60s on The 60s Official Site as Neal Stevens plays the great music of the 60s plus your dedications and requests.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Russell said…

    Ok, we will let you slide this time. ;-) I know how it is. Seems more things than time, always, but when you e-mailed me the newsletter today, I made time. :-)

    Maybe the solution is to do at least one blog post a month, perhaps on newsletter day?

    Thanks again for all your work.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is there anyway to purchase a tape/disk of the radio Chicken Man series? I used to hear it on XM radio, but no more. Even got my husband to like it! Please post the answer to this. Thanks!

     
  • At 5:10 AM, Blogger Carl Hoffman said…

    Chickenman episodes can be purchased at amazon.com under the mp3 section.

    Carl

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    any specific reason why you do not provide a means or method to email you directly? (for thoughts, praises, or suggestions) (referring to your 60's site... not blog)

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Chickenman series was also broadcast many years ago overseas (Japan & Asia, etc) on the AFRTS radio network. In addition, you can listen to them online if you know where to look. (or at least they used to be available...?)

     
  • At 4:36 AM, Blogger Carl Hoffman said…

    My email address is on the website.

     
  • At 4:37 AM, Blogger Carl Hoffman said…

    I have the complete Chickenman episodes to listen to if you know where to look on my site.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home