The 60s Official Site Blog

Dedicated to the memory and history of the 60s from a personal and historical point of view.

<

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Remember Charley Conrad's Barbershop

I read the other day in the Carrollton Leader newspaper where Ed's Clip Joint was closing its doors after decades of cutting hair here in Carrollton, Texas.  It was of the last typical barber shops here in Carollton.  It was your typical men only barber shop where you could get a haircut and great conversation from politics to the latest gossip all for $11.00.

After reading the article my mind wandered back to Circleville, Ohio to that small barber shop on South Pickaway Street just across the street where the Nazarene Church was once located.  I do remember the haircut was $1.50 or $1.75 for a flat top. Now I pay $20.00 including tip. As I look back to the 60s, it seems those little things back then really seemed so insignificant at the time but turned out to be a great memory today.


I had my first haircut at Charley's when I was probably 8 years old and continued to have him cut my
hair when I was an adult even after returning home from my tour in Vietnam. He also gave us  kids some double bubble chewing gum after cutting our hair.  I remember receiving that chewing gum even while in high school.

It seems like it was just yesterday when I would sit and wait for my turn and watch in awe as Charley cut the hair and chewed the fat with all the customers.  Many like me listened to every word while others' faces were embedded in the magazine they were reading.  Charley was a devout Christian so no foul language was ever heard from anybody even though the customers were all men.  Today not too many barber shops are men only establishments as they are disappearing quickly.

From a small boy to a teenager I could not wait for Charley Conrad to feel I was old enough to get that razor trim around the ears and back of the neck.  It seemed to me that was a sign you have finally grown up.  I don't think I ever received one of them at Charley's until right before I left for the Army.  I guess I was old enough to serve my country so I now get the razor cut.

I still can remember Charley Contrad's smiling face, as he gestured for you take the seat in the chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home