The observance of Halloween, which dates back to Celtic rituals thousands of years ago, has long been associated with images of witches, ghosts, devils and hobgoblins. In the United States, the first official citywide Halloween celebration occurred in Anoka, Minn., in 1921. Over the years, Halloween customs and rituals have changed dramatically. Today, many of the young and "young-at-heart" take a more light-spirited approach. They don scary disguises or ones that may bring on smiles when they go door-to-door for treats or attend or host a Halloween party.
Of course with Halloween there comes haunting, pranks, and so forth.
The musical industry did not miss the opportunity to add their touch to this ritual that falls on the last day of October which back in medieveal times was New Years Eve. The New Year began on November 1. There were so many songs that came out to add to the Halloween theme. The list of top songs includes not only the top ones from the 60s era but other eras as well. As a scary thing here on a 60s site. I am going to mention them as well. Here is the list of the top Halloween songs of all time.
1. Monster Mash by Bobby "Boris" Pickett" (1962) #1 Hit
2. Haunted House by "Jumpin'" Gene Simmons (1964)
3. Thriller by Michael Jackson (1984)
4. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr. (1984) #1 Hit
5. (Ghost) Riders in the Sky by the Ramrods (1961)
6. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon (1978)
7. Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels Band (1979)
8. I Put A Spell on You by Creedence Clearwater Revival (1969)
9. The Blog by The Five Blobs (1958)
10. Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley (1958) #1 Hit
11. Frankenstein by Edgar Winter Group (1973) #1 Hit
12. (Don't Fear) The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult (1976)
13. People Are Strange by The Doors (1967)
14. Highway to Hell by AC/DC (1979)
15. Martian Hop by the Ran-Dells (1963)
16. The Legend of Wooley Swamp by Charlie Daniels Band (1980)
17. Porterville by Creedance Clearwater Revival (1969)
18. Dead Man's Party by Oinko Boinko (1985)
19. It's Halloween by The Shaggs (1980)
20. Zombie Jamboree by Rockapella (2001)
If you can think of anymore post them here on my blog.
Have a great day and Happy Halloween!
Baby boomer at heart? Revisit the 60s.
Starting your own business online. Let us set it up with multiple steams of income. Free setup.
Shopping for something special? We have thousands of items at special discount prices.